1/1 Photo of Pepper Crusted Tenderloin With Mushroom Cream and Asparagus
I love steak, mushrooms and asparagus so I love this. Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb asparagus, trimmed at stem (fat stems should be peeled down a bit as well)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- extra virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling
- salt, to taste
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 pound total (1-inch thick, 3-4-inch round)
- 4 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 white mushroom caps, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cognac or 1/4 cup brandy
- 3/4 cup cream
- fresh parsley leaves or fresh chives, chopped, for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Spread asparagus on small baking sheet and dress with a liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt.
- 3Roast the spears in a hot oven until tender and ends are crisp and slightly brown at edges, about 10-12 minutes. Asparagus should remain bright green.
- 4Take the chill off the meat, then pour the black pepper onto a small plate.
- 5Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high to high heat. When oil smokes, press each steak into pepper to coat then place peppered side down in the skillet.
- 6Sear and carmelize the meat 3-4 minutes, turn and cook 2 minutes more for rare, 3 minutes for pink.
- 7While the meat cooks, heat a small skillet over medium flame and melt then butter.
- 8Add mushrooms and lightly saute them for 4 to 5 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and add cognac or brandy to the pan. Be careful of flare ups. You may want to add the liquor off the stove top then return the skillet to the heat.
- 9Reduce the liquid by half, cooking off the alcohol and concentrating the flavor, then stir in the cream and warm it through. Reduce heat a bit and let sauce thicken 2 to 3 minutes.
- 10Spoon sauce over meat and serve with asparagus alongside.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pepper Crusted Tenderloin With Mushroom Cream and Asparagus
Serving Size: 1 (779 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.7
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 89.9 mg
- Sodium 146.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 8.7 g