Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
To go with soups, salads, chili, etc...
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°; grease a muffin tin real well or put in paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt; make a well in the center.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk, egg, and margarine together; add this mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Stir just until moistened and blended (do not overmix).
- Stir in zucchini and peppers.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin; bake for 20-25 minutes or until test done.
This is a nice little muffin. I omitted the egg and used soy milk to make them vegan. Used shredded carrot instead of red pepper. Some corn would be nice too. I am a salt fiend, but these were too salty. One quarter teaspoon would be better for this amount of flour. I got only 8 smallish muffins, and will double the recipe next time.
These are a nice option for savory muffins. I used shredded carrot instead of red peppers and they were still good.