Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found this in my local newspaper. It is from Barbara Roll, a professor of nutrition sciences at Penn State University and cookbook author. I especially like the crispiness you get from soaking the cabbage in ice water. No mayonnaise, so it is lower in calories!
For the slaw
- 2 3⁄4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup seeded and diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup peeled and shredded carrot
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon feshly ground black pepper
- Fill bowl with ice water and soak the cabbage for 30 minutes (to ensure a crisp slaw).
- Be sure to drain well.
- In large bowl, combine cabbage, peppers and carrots.
- Make dressing in separate bowl by whisking together sugar, vinegar, oil and pepper.
- Pour dressing over vegetable mixture and toss well.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
This is an excellent slaw ! I loved the light, crispy texture . The flavor was very nice, not too sweet or oily !! I WILL make again for sure !