Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great Southern Living Recipe. Plan ahead, the onions are caramelized in the crock pot. Onions are not included in the prep time or cooking time.
- 2 extra large sweet onions
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup caramelized onion
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- lettuce leaf
- Cut onions in half; cut each half into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Combine all ingredients in a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, at HIGH 8 hours or until golden brown and very soft.
- Store onions in an airtight container; refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 2 months.
- Yield: 2 cups.
- Shape beef into 4 patties.
- Combine salt and next 4 ingredients; sprinkle evenly over both sides of patties.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat 5 minutes on each side or until beef is no longer pink.
- Cook caramelized onions and vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Spoon over burgers. Top with lettuce, and serve on rolls.
I had been wanting to try carmelized onions in the crock pot, so I appreciated the recipe for that alone. The smell was fabulous in my kitchen all day. I thought the beef broth was a nice touch. I went ahead and added the balsamic vinegar directly to the crock pot before serving. I have lots of leftover onions that I will put to good use. I added some steak seasoning to the hamburger mixture. Thanks so much for the delicious recipe. Roxygirl in Colo.