"Traditionally a Spanish dish, tortilla is best eaten cold in chunky wedges and makes an ideal picnic food." This comes via 500 All Time Great Recipes. We love this! Notice how I have not included the cooling time for the potatoes. I have, also, used leftover potatoes for this. This will serve 2 for main dish, or 4 if with some other sides.
- Do not peel the potatoes, but wash them well.
- Parboil them for about 20 minutes, then drain and, and when they are cool enough to handle, slice them thickly.
- Switch on the broiler so that it warms up while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil and fry the onion, garlic and peppers over a moderate heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the potatoes and continue frying, stirring from time to time until the potatoes are completely cooked and the vegetables are soft.
- Add a little extra oil if the pan seems rather too dry.
- Pour in half the beaten eggs, then sprinkle over half the grated Cheddar cheese, then the rest of the egg.
- Season with salt and pepper and finish with a layer of cheese.
- Continue to cook over a low heat, without stirring, half covering the pan with a lid to help set the eggs.
- When the mixture is firm, flash the pan under the hot broiler to seal the top just lightly.
- Leave the tortilla in the pan to cool.
- This helps it firm up further and makes it easier to turn out.
- Cut into generous wedges to serve.
A great fast weekday meal! Tasty and really complete with carbs, veggies and proteins.
I boilded the potato while I was preparing onion and peppers; This saves a lot of time if you are in a hurry.
Thanks a lot for this idea!
Loved that this recipe made a nice light dinner for 2 people. Instead of using the second pepper, I added some leftover asparagus from the day before. Delicious. Made for TYM Tag. :)
I tasted this when hot, then again when cold. It actually tastes better room temperature! Te chuparse los dedos. This was very easy to make and the flavors are simple and delicious. This will go into my regular repertoire since it is easy, good, and more filling than an omelet with the addition of the potatoes. Made for ZWT #5.