Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This casserole-style side dish consists of peppers, courgettes, and potatoes baked together in a cream-based cheese sauce. With the addition of ham, it would make a tasty main course.
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 courgettes, trimmed and sliced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 ounce plain flour
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1⁄4 pint double cream
- 6 ounces lancashire cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Melt 1 oz of the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion, garlic, peppers, and courgettes for 5-7 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile, parboil the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and cool by rinsing in cold water.
- Layer half the potatoes over the base of a 3pt oven proof dish.
- Spoon over the pepper mixture then the rest of the potatoes.
- Place the remaining butter, flour, and milk in a saucepan and cook over a low heat, whisking, until it boils and thickens.
- Stir in the cream and pour the sauce over the potatoes.
- Scatter over the cheese and thyme leaves and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Garnish with fresh thyme.
We lived in the UK (Wales) for 5 months so I was familiar with the measurements and language in the recipe. I did kind of Americanize it a bit with good results. I subbed a yellow pepper for the green pepper (I think the green would have overwhelmed the recipe), 1-12oz can of evaporated milk for the 1/2 pint milk and 1/4 pint double cream (which I cooked until it was thickened) and the only English cheese I could find at the local grocers was an 8oz package of Double Gloucester so I used that instead of the 6 oz of Lancashire cheese. What came out of the oven was flavor soaked potatoes highlighted by peppers and cheese. For any other Americans making this recipe 1/2oz butter is 1T, a courgette is a zucchini and I think that Â½ oz plain flour is about 2-3 T.