Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are quick, healthy and delicious! I like to use a saltier, cheddar-type cheese to bring out the sweetness of the peppers and mango; add as much heat as you wish with the chile peppers (but I particularly like lots of chiles with mango!). Use complementary-flavored colored tortillas instead of plain old white if you like! Can be served as an appetizer, snack, lunch, or light dinner.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 yellow bell peppers or 1⁄4 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bermuda onion, chopped
- 2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 ripe but firm mango, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 2 9 inch flour tortillas, plain or flavored
- In a skillet, saute tomatoes in olive oil for 2 minutes; add peppers, onions, chili powder and oregano.
- Saute for 2 more minutes then add mango, cilantro, lime juice and chile pepper.
- Stir to combine then let cool briefly.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To assemble: spread filling over tortilla; sprinkle with cheese and top with second tortilla.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tortilla is slightly browned.
- Quesadilla can also be cooked in a nonstick skillet for 2 minutes on each side.
- Cut into wedges and garnish with more cilantro.
- Serve with sour cream, if you like.
Really flavorful and fresh tasting quesadilla. We loved the sweetness of mango, heat of jalapeno and saltines of cheese all combined. I will double the cheese next time, though.