Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Our neighbor gave us some peppers and a big cucumber and we made this. Now Dave is not a big fan of cucumber but he liked this. The dressing is very tart but went well with the combination. Original recipe from "Barbecue" by Christine France and Steven Wheeler. I removed some things and added other so hope you'll enjoy.
- 2 cups cucumbers, coarslely chopped (about half of a very large cucumber)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
- 1⁄4 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 avocado, chopped
- 1 toasted whole wheat pita bread, cut into bite size pieces
- 5 tablespoons lite olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large lemons, juice of
- lemon zest (optional)
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- Add all the salad ingredients except the avacado and toasted pita bread.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving add the chopped avacado and toasted pita bread.
- Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
Attractive, refreshing, delicious side dish for a hot humid day! I used one lemon. Served with steak and potato croquettes and key lime pie. TY, Nimz.
This is so worthy of the 5 stars! Lovely fresh flavors and I loved the lemon zest, which was optional, but added it. Perfect! I did use an entire avocado, but will add more next time. Delicious! Made for Every Day Holiday Tag. :)
This was great I had some fresh tomatoes from my garden and everything else in the fridge so this was a perfect way to use them up.