1/2 Photos of Pepper and Cheddar Shortbread Canapés With Smoked Salmon
1 hr 10 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Here's a savoury shortbread appetizer that would be perfect for a celebration such as Christmas or Thanksgiving. This recipe was published in the Dec 19,2007 edition of the Toronto Star.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2Stir flour and pepper together in a medium-sized bowl.
- 3Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- 4On low speed, beat in cheddar until just blended.
- 5Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir in half of flour mixture, then milk, then remaining flour mixture, until moistened (batter will be very thick).
- 6Turn out on to a pastry board or the counter and finish mixing with hands and pat into a disc shape
- 7Place disc between 2 sheets of waxed paper and roll out to about 1/4-inch thick, or about 12 inches in diameter.
- 8Using a 2-inch cookie cutter (preferably with decorative serrated edge), cut out rounds and place on prepared baking sheet.
- 9Re-roll scraps, cut out rounds and place on prepared baking sheet.
- 10Bake in 2 batches.
- 11Place each baking sheet in centre of preheated 325F oven.
- 12Bake until are golden and puffed, about 20 minutes.
- 13Cool for 5 minutes before transferring shortbreads to rack, using a metal spatula, to cool to room temperature.
- 14In medium bowl, stir together sour cream and salmon.
- 15Spoon rounded teaspoons onto centre of each shortbread.
- 16Garnish each shortbread with a dill sprig.
Browse Our Top Scottish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scottish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pepper and Cheddar Shortbread Canapés With Smoked Salmon
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 42
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.8
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 41.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: