Prep 24 hrs
Cook 25 mins
From the Weekend magazine, Foodcourt column on Breakfast for last week.
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup channa dal
- 1⁄2 cup split black gram Urad Dal (skinless)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 whole red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 4 fresh curry leaves
- Wash and soak the dals overnight.
- The next morning, grind the rice separately with minimum water.
- Grind the dals coarsely with the red chilli, ginger, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Mix with the ground rice.
- Add black pepper and mix.
- Your mixture should be a thick batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan.
- Spread a teaspoons.
- of oil evenly on it.
- When the oil is hot, drop a large ladle of the batter on it.
- Spread the batter to make a 5 inch diameter round.
- Drizzle with oil.
- When one side is done, flip the pancake and cook the other side till it's crisp.
- Serve hot with salted yoghurt and crushed green chillies.
- Enjoy for breakfast!