Recipe by *Parsley*
The green pepper gives the casserole some extra flavor. No canned soup needed!
Top Review by mollypaul
Quite easy to make and very delicious. I used a red bell pepper for color, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly as written. I have made this several times! A very nice way to vary my cauliflower repertoire.
- 1 head cauliflower, washed and separated into flowerets
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup buttered bread crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease or spray a 2-qt casserole dish.
- In a saucepan combine cauliflower with peppers and onion; cover with water and salt. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender. Drain and place into a casserole dish.
- In a separate saucepan; melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour and stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, salt, pepper and paprika, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Pour this sauce over cauliflower in the casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheese, then buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.