Recipe by litldarlin
This was my mother's favorite cookie not only to make but to eat. The ones you now buy in the store don't have that spicy ginger taste like they use to. Now I make my own and use my mother's recipe to do so.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Karo syrup
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon clove
- 12 ounces margarine or 12 ounces butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipped cream
- 3 1⁄2 lbs flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir the syrup with sugar, spices and margarine until well mixed.
- Whip the cream till frothy and stir into the batter, a little at a time.
- Dissolve the baking soda in a little water and add together with part of the flour.
- Cover the dough which should be quite firm, let stand until the following day.
- Knead the dough, adding the remaining flour.
- Roll out a small part and bake a test cookie in 350 degree oven.
- Bake about 10-15 minutes or until done.
- If the cookie spreads, add a little more flour to the dough.
- Roll out the dough and cut with cookie cutters.
- You can cut the cookies into any shape you want.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet after baking.
- The cookies may be decorated with white frosting made of sifted powdered sugar stirred with egg white and a few drops vinegar or lemon juice to a thick smooth paste.