Recipe by spicyperspective
A healthy South-American inspired salad that is low in fat and calories and BIG on flavor!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (could use chicken tenders)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup roughly chopped pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or 1 cup pistachios
- 1 head romaine lettuce, hand torn
- 1 mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup peeled and thinly sliced jicama
- 1⁄2 a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon strain adobo sauce (from chipotle pepper can)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and move the oven rack to the upper-middle position. Place a piece of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Prepare 3 small pans: one with chopped pepitas, one with 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of milk whisked together, and one with a mixture of flour, cumin slat and pepper.
- Dip the chicken in the flour mixture. Shake off the excess, then dip it in the egg wash, followed by the chopped pepitas. Lay the coated chicken on the baking sheet and repeat with the rest.
- Bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of the breasts. *For chicken tenders bake 15 minutes.
- While baking, prepare four salad plates with a bed of romaine, followed by thin slivers of mango, avocado, jicama, and red onion.
- Whisk together the adobo sauce, oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon, and salt.
- Once the chicken is cooked, allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes. Then top each salad with a chicken breast and drizzle with abodo vinaigrette!