Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cooking Light. Made this for dinner last night and it's delicious, yet healthy enough to have more than one piece. Would be great with any stew or soup. Pepitas are hulled pumpkinseeds. I used raw pepitas, but roasted would be fine, too. I prefer whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour or 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 large eggs
- cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup pumpkin seeds (kernels only, known as pepitas)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spoon flour and cornmeal into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour,cornmeal, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, honey, oil and eggs. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into an 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle batter evenly with pepitas. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (mine took 25 minutes). Cool in pan 10 minutes. Serve warm.