1/1 Photo of Pepin's Penne, Ham and Vegetable Gratin
I have fallen in love with Jacques Pepin. His recipes, whether complicated or incredibly simple, like this one, always turn out perfect. I've tweaked it a little (forgive me, Jacques) to satisfy my teenager, who has requested this for her "birthday dinner." It's easy, inexpensive, and very satisfying. A real comfort food for us
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups penne (about 5 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham (honey ham is delicious in this)
- 3/4 cup corn (about one ear, frozen works just fine)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup grated cheese (we prefer Gruyere, but any you like will work)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1Boil about 2 quarts of water. Add penne and cook about 12 minutes until al dente (slightly firm). Drain and cool under cold water.
- 2Put cooked penne into a large bowl and stir in the ham, corn, peas, zucchini and cheese.
- 3Make the White Sauce:.
- 4Melt butter in saucepan, add the flour, and whisk it together until smooth.
- 5Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring a bit. The sauce should thicken.
- 6Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream. Let it cool until lukewarm.
- 7Heat the broiler. Add the sauce to the penne and vegetables, and place in a shallow baking dish that can hold about 6 cups.
- 8Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- 9Broil about 4 inches from the heat until the top is lightly browned (about 6 to 8 minutes).
- 10Serve immediately.
- 11NOTE: Pepin says you can make this ahead of time up to adding the Parmesan. It will keep, covered, at room temperature for a few hours, or up to a day in the fridge before finishing in the oven, so it's a great make-ahead dish. If refrigerated, just bring it back to room temp and bake at 425 for about 30 minutes.
- 12SECOND NOTE: Don't let this sit in the oven after it's finished or it will become gooey.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pepin's Penne, Ham and Vegetable Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.4
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 116.1 mg
- Sodium 1142.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 27.8 g