A traditional delicious Italian stuffed pepper with eggplants with a nice presentation.
Make and share this Peperoni Ripieni ( Italian Stuffed Bell Peppers With Eggplant) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 large eggplants, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup Pam cooking spray, as needed
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 -4 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, to be divided into 8 parts
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
- Pam cooking spray or olive oil, when drizzling the dish
- aluminum foil
- Salt out eggplants by adding salt and allow to stand 10 minutes until they sweat.
- Wash eggplants again to ensure the bitterness is removed.
- Heat enough olive oil in a fry pan and saute the eggplants until they become soft. Sauteing can be done in batches.
- Remove eggplants to a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
- Add egg, basil, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper to taste, and mix.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cut off tops of green peppers and remove seeds.
- Arrange bell peppers in a casserole dish with the open part showing.
- Distribute the eggplant stuffing mix to the bell peppers.
- Top each pepper with mozzarella cheese.
- Spray Pam onto the dish and add the water.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
This was a lovely recipe, a little fiddly but worth it. I used dried basil, and although I did think it looked like a lot of basil I tasted it as I added it and found that it was an adequate amount. I grilled (broiled) my eggplant as it doesn't absorb as much oil this way. I did find after serving this that it wanted a little marinara sauce over the top. Could be a nice starter for a dinner party. Thanks!
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles! I chose this recipe for Zingo as my family enjoys all kinds of stuffed vegetables & I was sure they'd enjoy these. This recipe is so easy to make & the aubergine turn out really delicious. They are also nice to look at - you could do this wuth baby aubergines too for a great appetizer or starter. Thanks Marie for a fab recipe :)