Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
A colourful and tasty dish on the breakfast or brunch table. An Italian friend passed this on to me.
- 3 sweet peppers, sliced very thinly
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- Gently fry peppers, onion and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes, then add tomatoes and basil.
- Cook very slowly for 45 minutes.
- Keep stirring and season to taste.
- Serve with Italian or French bread at barbecues, or breakfast.
- Good hot or cold.
Excellent! This is similar to the recipe my mother used to make. I made quite a large batch and canned mine since peppers were abundant from the garden, We also enjoy as a side with dinners or a snack with a good bread. Thank you