Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
A Bon Appetite recipe with the addition of Peperoncini was genius. From Kalyn's Kitchen blog.
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (Greek oregano works great)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peperoncini brine (from the jar of Peperoncini)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 -6 cups romaine lettuce (washed, dried and chopped or torn)
- 1 cup sliced pepperoncini pepper
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut in short, thin slices
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Put dried oregano and minced garlic in a small bowl and mash together with a fork or mortar. Add the white wine vinegar, Peperoncini juice and salt and pepper to taste and whisk together. Whisk in olive oil about 2 tablespoons at a time until dressing is well emulsified. Let dressing sit so flavors can blend while you prep other ingredients.
- Cut or tear romaine lettuce into bite-sized pieces and wash and dry. Make certain the leaves are dry. Cut stem end from each Peperoncini, squeeze out the seeds and discard and cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Cut red bell pepper in half, cut out seeds and pepper membranes, then slice the pepper into slices about 1/4 inch wide and a few inches long.
- Put the lettuce into a large salad bowl and toss with desired amount of dressing. Add Peperoncini strips, red bell pepper strips and crumbled Feta cheese and toss again. Season salad to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve immediately.