Recipe by TXOLDHAM
Found this one in Cuisine at Home magazine. I wanted to be sure and save as I am cleaning out magazines. Prep time does not include roasting peppers. I do this in advance and freeze.
Top Review by Beth A.
My husband heartily declared this one a keeper! I used bottled roasted red peppers and just 1 pound of shrimp. I was a little leary of the white wine vinegar in the dish, but it almost comes out as a sweet and sour sauce. Very tasty! Oh, and don't forget the fresh basil. I didn't have any fresh, but had some frozen pesto. The basil is the perfect finishing to this dish. Thank you, TXOldham, for sharing this! I will be making this again. :)
- 2 large red bell peppers or 2 cups bottled roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- If using fresh red peppers, roast over a gas flame or under broiler and steam in a bag for 10 minutes. Peel, seed and thinly slice.
- Dust shrimp with flour and saute 3 minutes in heated oil for 3 minutes. remove from pan.
- Add onion and garlic and saute 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add broth, vinegar, sugar and lemon juice; bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in salt, zest and pepper flakes.
- Add roasted peppers and shrimp and simmer until heated through.
- Garnish with fresh basil.