Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Time Life Great Taste, Low Fat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth, meatless option
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, meat option
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces ruote pasta
- Ruote is wagon wheel pasta. Olives can be replaced by other varieties such as Gaeta or Nicoise. Flavorful is a must.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add peppers, garlic and cook until peppers are softened about 8 minutes
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the pasta. Use broth of your choice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors have blended and mix thickens slightly. About 15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta at the same time in a large pot of boiling water until pasta is tender. Drain well. Add to sauce and coat. Cook until pasta is warmed thru about 1 minute. Divide into serving bowls and serve.
- For Vegetarian or Vegan use the meatless broth option. Chicken broth is not vegetarian.