Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Posted for ZWT6. These cookies are traditionally part of the Sinterklaas celebration in Holland, which is a December 5 feast where St. Nicholas hands out treats and gifts to children. St. Nicholas was the original inspiration for today's Santa Claus. Note: These cookies are very hard for about a week after baking and will be difficult to bite into without first dunking into a beverage. They will soften with time. Yield is an estimate. Prep time does not include letting cookies sit overnight before baking.
- Beat eggs in a mixer. Add brown sugar and beat.
- Sift the spices with the flour.
- Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients using mixer.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with small round cutter.
- Let stand on an oiled cookie sheet overnight to ripen.
- Bake 10 minutes at 325°F.
- If desired, frost cookies with powdered sugar frosting when cool.