Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great chili that is not too difficult to make.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage links
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 7 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 3 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups beer
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 (6 ounce) canspitted medium black olives, drained
- In a large pot, heat the oil over low heat.
- Sauté the onions and peppers in oil for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the sausage and beef and brown over moderate heat.
- Drain any excess fat from pan.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, black pepper, cumin, chili powder, salt, oregano and basil.
- Stir in the tomatoes, lemon juice, beer, coriander, cilantro, parsley and beans.
- Simmer uncovered, over low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the olives and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with grated cheese, chopped onions, crushed tortilla chips, etc!