Adapted from a recipe found in the Penzey's spice catalog. The size of the tomatoes should be about the size of a medium apple. If using very small tomatoes, such as plum tomatoes, you will need to double the amount of tomatoes. It might also be a good idea to have some extra tomato juice or vegetable broth on hand just in case your tomatoes do not produce enough liquid to make the full 8 cups needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 13 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups whole milk (or half and half or evaporated whole milk)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- crushed seasoned croutons, to garnish (optional)
- 1Cook tomatoes and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until soft and the skins start to fall off, approximately 10 minutes.
- 2Add baking soda (it will get foamy) and cook another minute or two.
- 3Strain the tomatoes through a sieve set over a large bowl; discard the seeds& skins but reserve the juices.
- 4You should have 8 cups juice, approximately- set aside. (If you do not have enough juice, add canned tomato juice or vegetable broth to your juices to make up the difference, adjusting the salt later to account for these additions.).
- 5Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large stock pot, then add onions and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add flour, stirring, then add all spices except for the basil, stirring until well blended.
- 7Cook the flour mixture for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly- don't let it burn.
- 8Slowly add the milk, whisking to mix with flour mixture until smooth.
- 9Continue cooking until it starts to thicken.
- 10Add 1 cup of the milk mixture to the tomato juices to temper them, stirring well.
- 11Pour the tomato mixture into the stock pot and stir to mix.
- 12Continue heating until warmed through, but do not let boil.
- 13Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
- 14Add basil and serve with a sprinkling of crushed croutons on top if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penzey's Style Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 17.5 mg
- Sodium 298.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 4.1 g