Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this from Penzey's Spice Christmas 2006 catalogue. Just wanted to get it here, so I don't lose it. Never tried it, but it sounds great.
- 2 -3 lbs chicken wings
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening or 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- Snap off the tips and disjoint wings.
- Lay them out on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle evenly with granulated garlic.
- Turn the Wings over and sprinkle the other side.
- Cover the tray and let the wings stand of 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a pan and cook over medium low heat until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring often.
- Once it comes to a boil, turn the burner off, remove from heat, and let the sauce sit.
- Put the cornstarch in a roomy bowl.
- In another bowl, add eggs and beat well.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 TB. of shortening or oil per batch.
- When the oil is hot to fry in, roll the wings in the cornstarch first and then dip in the egg mixture.
- Place in frying pan and fry until golden brown. Takes about five minutes.
- Remove from pan to a cookie sheet that has a lip on it, take sauce and spoon it over the wings.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
- Halfway through baking, turn the wings and baste with the sauce in the pan. The sauce will thicken and start to caramelize.
- Remove wings from pan carefully.
- Serve as appetizers, or with rice.