Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
I got this from Penzeys Christmas 2006 catalogue. Wanted to get it up here so I don't lose it.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup ground nuts
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon shortening
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Cut the shortening in with a knife.
- Add sugar, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, and nuts.
- Mix well.
- Add milk gradually and mix thouroughly.
- Drop dough by teaspoon 1 1/2 inches apart on a large, greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool before frosting.
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- Frost cooled cookies.
I wanted to like this. The cookie recipe isn't bad, just bland. Next time I'll use more cocoa and spices. Don't bother with the frosting. This doesn't make a proper frosting - it makes sugar water. Look up another buttercream recipe for the frosting.