Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is from the Penzey's catalog. Great for a hot day because it's made all in the slow cooker, or for a cold winter day. I'm sure you could add other veggies, like shredded carrot or cabbage or sweet potatoes, for added nutrition. I used leftover shredded chicken. The catalog says to serve with cornbread and garnishes (probably cheese and sour cream etc). Even my kids liked it!
- 1 (6 -8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies
- 1 (28 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups frozen corn or 2 cups roasted corn
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 corn tortillas, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (use 1/2 as much if using dried)
- 1 -2 tablespoon lime juice (juice of 1-2 limes)
- Place everything except the cilantro and lime juice into a slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks; return to the pot with the cilantro and lime juice.
- Taste and add extra seasonings if desired. Serve with optional garnished, such as diced avocado, lime wedges, sour cream, shredded cheese and toasted tortilla strips.