Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love anything with brown sugar in it, so I couldn't resist getting this one up. This is from Penzey's Christmas 2006 catalogue.
- 1 cup soft shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Cream together the shortening, brown sugar and eggs.
- Add the buttermilk and mix well.
- In a seperate bowl, sift together the bread flour, baking soda and salt.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
- Chill one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drop dough by the teaspoon on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.