Recipe by Ann Marie F
Recipe from Penzeys Spices winter 2009 catalog. I haven't made this but I want it in my cookbook so I'm posting it.
Top Review by AMurphy322
I made this today. Used only 2 bananas since that is all I had. Plain Greek yogurt. A little ginger and omitted the allspice. Used regular chocolate chips, I loved that it was not sweet but nice and moist with wonderful flavor. I will make again. I love Penzey's spices.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup walnuts (optional) or 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, very ripe and well mashed (3 bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease a large 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
- Stir the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, nuts and chocolate chips together in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla together.
- Lightly fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined and the batter looks thick and chunky.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Bake at 325°F until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 70-75 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then turn out and let cool on a wire rack.