Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wonderful as gifts during the holidays.
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Butter the sides of a heavy 2 qt saucepan.
- Combine sugars, cream, milk, butter in the pan.
- Cook over med heat, stirring constantly until sugars dissolve and mix comes to boil.
- Continue cooking 236 degrees (soft-ball stage) stirring only enough to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat immediately and cool to lukewarm (110 degrees).
- Add Vanilla.
- Beat vigorously until mixture loses its gloss and becomes very thick (about 10 minutes).
- Quickly stir in the nuts.
- Immediately turn into a butter 8x4x2 loaf pan.
- Score into squares while still warm.
- Cut when it is firm.
Absolutely awesome...didn't add nuts but it didn't need them..