Recipe by C.Y.
Want something that you can throw together quickly and forget about for an hour? This is it! A "chili-mac" style dish that has great flavor and makes a ton! Perfect for a cold winter day...Thanks Penny (my mom)!
Top Review by MNCupcake
I made this tonight. I had to alter it a bit. I added a 6 oz can of tomato paste to thicken it up. I added double the salt and pepper. Instead of diced tomatoes, I added 15oz of whole, home-canned tomatoes. I would suggest cooking the onions and green peppers with the ground beef. Cooking the pasta in tomato juice really adds flavor.
- 2 lbs ground beef (or turkey, or mixture)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, chopped (jar type is okay)
- 8 ounces canned mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon oregano (jar type, or use less if dry)
- 1 teaspoon basil (jar type, or use less if dry)
- 1 (46 ounce) can plain tomato juice
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (less than a 1 lb box, uncooked)
Directions See How It's Made
- BROWN MEAT UNTIL DONE, DRAIN GREASE.
- TRANSFER TO VERY LARGE POT OR DUTCH-OVEN.
- ADD THE ONION, GREEN PEPPER, TOMATOES, GARLIC, MUSHROOMS, TOMATO JUICE AND MACARONI. DO NOT ADD THE OREGANO OR BASIL YET.
- STIR TO MIX.
- ADD SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE (ABOUT A TBSP SALT AND AT LEAST ½ TBSP PEPPER).
- COVER; SIMMER ON MEDIUM-LOW HEAT FOR ~45 MINUTES, STIRRING ONCE OR TWICE.
- CHECK PERIODICALLY DURING LAST 10-15 MINUTES FOR (MACARONI) DONENESS. MACARONI SHOULD BE JUST A SLIGHT BIT UNDERDONE AS IT WILL CONTINUE TO COOK AFTER BEING REMOVED FROM THE HEAT. ADD OREGANO AND BASIL AT THIS TIME. STIR & RE-COVER AFTER EACH CHECK.
- LET SIT FOR AT LEAST 5 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING.
- Serve with Italian bread and Parmesan Cheese!