I'm submitting this because my kids and my elders love this....I tend to like my broccoli fresh and steamed! I also usually like to use crushed ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs with this, or just leave them off altogether. This recipe came to me through a school cookbook, which was a collection of recipes other people had gathered together....have no idea who Penny is! But the recipe was submitted by Laura Harms. That is all the credit I can give!!!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages broccoli, frozen, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (2 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, fine (I prefer crushed ritz crackers or none at all.)
- Cook the broccoli according to the package directions; drain well. Place the broccoli in a lightly greased 1 quart casserole; set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add the salt and pepper; stir well.
- Add the cream cheese, stirring until smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese sauce over the broccoli in the casserole dish. Stir gently to combine. Sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese.
- Melt the remaining 2 tbsp butter in a small saucepan over low heat. remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.