Recipe by Carah'sMama
Canned tomatoes, bacon and chicken broth make this an easy soup to throw together! Perfect paired with a nice slice of southern cornbread. My mother got it from a nice restaurant around Clayton, GA. Can't think of the name of it though. A very tasty and easy soup.
Top Review by hotnready
Thanks for the recipe, although I'm not really too much into tomatoes, this was good. I especially like the flavor of the broth with the bacon. I think next time, I will use 1 can of tomatoes and add either navy beans or potatoes. Good , easy soup.
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth, heated
- 15 ounces water
- 1 medium onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until crispy. Drain, reserving 4 T. of drippings.
- Sauté onion in 1 T. of bacon drippings (or olive oil) until soft and transparent.
- Mix remaining drippings and flour in pan and cook until light brown.
- Add onion and hot broth, stirring until smooth.
- Whisk in can of water, tomatoes and bacon.
- Cook on low heat for 30-45 minutes.
- I think this would probably be good with turkey bacon for a lighter version and olive oil in place of the drippings.