This is so good served over a little angel hair pasta with a simple green side salad.
Make and share this Penny’s Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 6 medium red bell peppers (medium-large) or 6 medium yellow bell peppers (medium-large)
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked and cooled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce (homemade preferable)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2⁄3 cup fresh spinach leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Cut the tops off of the peppers and scoop out seeds and membranes.
- Chop tops of peppers and onions, & garlic.
- Sauté until limp, 6 or 7 minutes.
- Add crumbled up meat and brown.
- Salt and pepper all the way through the process.
- Add herbs and ½ of the parsley and stir, cook on low to absorb herb flavors then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine meat mixture, rice, cheeses, 1 Cup of Marinara, chopped spinach, remainder of parsley, and eggs.
- Mix and spoon into peppers.
- Put remainder of Marinara in saucepan with red wine and stir then place stuffed peppers in the sauce.
- Make sure the peppers fit snugly.
- Cover and cook on low simmer until the peppers are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over peppers just before serving.