Prep 4 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This sweet pickle is an old family recipe from my husband's mom. I have added the garlic and an extra onion. My hubby likes these actually better than before.
- 6 quarts medium cucumbers (aprox 24 to 26 Cups sliced thin like a penny)
- 7 large onions (aprox 7cups sliced thin like a penny)
- 4 sweet red peppers (aprox 3 1/3 cup sliced thin)
- 7 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon alum (optional)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- boiling water, to cover
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Makes 7 Quarts
- Wash and cut the blossom end off of the cukes.
- Slice the Cukes, peppers, onions and garlic if used, thin like a penny. I use my food processor.
- (old way from mom).
- Cover the pickles with 1 1/2 cups of pickling salt and alum pour boiling water over the veggies allow to sit for 2 hours.
- **New way mine** 1 cup of salt sprinkled over the veggies and then covered with ice and cold water, let sit overnight and rinse well before proceeding and that worked very well.
- Mix the last 4 ingredients and boil add drained veggies and cook for 15 minutes.
- Place quickly into Pint (500ml) or Quart (1L) jars and seal promptly.
- process for 10 minutes if you like.