Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is now my favorite green bean casserole. I used to always make the good old favorite with the mushroom soup and fried onions on top. This is always a hit at our family holiday get togethers.
- 3 strips bacon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar (I use 2, give it a nice sweet & sour flavor)
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 can green beans
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Fry bacon to crisp, crumble.
- Leave 2 tbls drippings& brown onion lightly.
- Stir in cornstarch, salt& dry mustard.
- Drain beans, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- Stir liquid into skillet& cook, stirring until it starts to boil.
- Blend in brown sugar& vinegar.
- Add bean and heat through.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon& sliced egg.
- (I always double this recipe for family gatherings, if not, it will never be enough).
extremely good recipe. I can see why it would have to be doubled for family gatherings. I ate more green beans than usual. Definatly a keeper of a recipe. I probably may have liked better If I had used frozen green beans. All I had was canned. Next time I think I would use 1 Tbs. of brown sugar I like the tartness of vinegar and It was too sweet for me. UPDATE: used 1 strip bacon, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard and brown sugar not sure over 1 Tbs. but just tossed in some more. the extra dry mustard cut the sweetness so I used the larger amount of brown sugarUPDATE TO THE UPDATE Made for dinner party everyone loved. and recipe request from woman who wants to make for her family gatherings.