Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
Thrifty farmers used everything at butchering time. Nowadays, you can order heart from your butcher or meat man. Long slow simmering yields a tender, delicious meat. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 beef heart
- 1 cup cracker, finely crushed
- 1 cup chestnuts, roasted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup medium white sauce (White Sauce (Cheesy or Not) Medium Sauce or your own recipe)
- salt and pepper
- Soak heart in cold water one hour.
- Wash thoroughly and remove large arteries and veins.
- Combine remaining ingredients and fill heart.
- Tie securely with cooking twine.
- Cover with boiling water and simmer for three hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove heart from water 1/2 hour before serving and sprinkle with additional cracker crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350°F until golden brown.
- Carve crosswise in 1/2 inch slices.