2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Very rich. When an apple pie is cooked in thick custard, expect the apples to stay a little on the firm side. They won’t get as soft as they do in an apple pie made without a custard.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 1/2 inch) prepared deep dish pie shells
- 1 1/4 cups full-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 -8 cups peeled peeled cored thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
- 1Place the prepared pie pastry shell in the freezer for 15 minutes; preheat oven to 400°.
- 2In a big bowl, whisk the sour cream, sugar, egg, flour, salt, and vanilla until well blended.
- 3Add in the apples; mix well.
- 4Turn the filling into the chilled pie shell; smooth the top with your hands, laying the apple slices down flat.
- 5Place the pie on the center oven rack; bake for 15 minutes; decrease heat to 350°; bake for 30 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, make the topping: in a big bowl, combine the flour, sugars, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts; add in the butter and stir with a fork, then switch to your hands rubbing the mixture gently between your fingers until it forms uniform crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- 7Remove pie from oven and carefully dump the streusel topping in the center, spreading it evenly over the surface with your hands.
- 8Tamp the topping down lightly.
- 9Return pie to oven, placing it so that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces the front.
- 10Slide a foil-line baking sheet onto the rack below to catch any spills.
- 11Continue baking for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 12Transfer pie to wire rack to cool for at least 2 hours before serving;
- 13You may serve this pie chilled, so after it is thoroughly cooled, cover with loosely tented foil and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pennsylvania Dutch Sour Cream-Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.1
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 65.1 mg
- Sodium 235.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 57.1 g
- Protein 6.7 g