Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Pennsylvania Dutch Shoo Fly Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry.
- Mix molasses and egg yolk.
- Dissolve soda in boiling water and add to egg and molasses.
- Set aside.
- Stir dry ingredients together, mixing well.
- Cut in shortening until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Pour molasses into pie shell.
- Sprinkle crumbs evenly over top.
- Do not stir.
- Bake at 450 degrees F. 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and bake 20 minutes longer.
- Cool and serve.
This pie is quick to prepare and easy to make. However, it fails to taste like any Shoo Fly Pie I've tasted while growing up in Lancaster County, PA. I believe the missing component is the lack of a "wet bottom." The bottom was more cakey than gooey but the crumbly topping sure tasted good! :-) Other than doubling the topping part (It needs it!), I followed the recipe to perfectly.
I had to make 25 pies and i still did'nt have a knuff. i thik you should send it to as many peaple as possible