Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the Pennsylvania Dutch cake version of their Shoo-Fly pie that is so popular in Lancaster County.
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup baking molasses (I use Brer Rabbit)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (level)
- 2 cups hot water
- Mix together (like a crumbly pie crust) flour, shortening, sugars in a large bowl, reserving 1/2 cup of the crumbs for top of cake.
- In another bowl, mix: molasses, baking soda and hot water.
- Stir until mixed and some of the foam disappears.
- Add to the crumb mixture and stir until blended.
- Put in a 9 X 13 inch loaf pan that has been greased and floured.
- Put the 1/2 cup crumb mixture on top and bake for 1 hour at 350 deg.
Cut recipe in half to make smaller cake, added cinnamon, couldn't help myself. Nice texture, nice taste and stayed moist. Thanks.