Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are a childhood favorite. This recipe is very popular among the Pennsylvania Dutch. Great for picnics, snacks or even for lunch.
- Hard Boil Eggs.
- Slice onion thinly.
- In a sauce pan combine beets (with juice), onion sugar, water and salt.
- Add vinegar here?.
- Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- After eggs are cooled, shell them and place in a large jar.
- Cool beet mixture a bit and add to jar. (You don't want it boiling when you add it because you may crack your jar).
- Put in refrigerator for at least 24 hours. The longer the eggs are in the juice, the better they'll taste. Best taste after about 3 days.
I made these for a family get-together...only after preparing them, I made DEVILED eggs out of them! Family loved them...and they were quite colorful!
Thank you soooo much for this recipe. I have missed these since mum passed. These are just like she made I had forgotten how she did it. Thank you for bringing a bit of a smile at the memory
I have been making these eggs with beets since I was a teenager (a long long time)...glad to see the recipe in Zaar. I was just thinking of making a batch where I could find a jar that would hold a recipe full. I'm originally from New Jersey and my DD taught me. Thanks luv