Recipe by grandma2969
Before baking, these cookies are brushed with an egg yolk wash to give them a slightly shiny look
- 3 2⁄3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1⁄2 cup white vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large egg yolks, throughly beaten with 2 tsps water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, with electic mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat the molasses and orange zest into the butter mixture until evenly incorporated. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and baking soda until well blended.
- Beat the sour cream mixture into the molasses mixture. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until smooth and well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough until firm enough to handle, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375*. Grease several baking sheets or coat with nonstick spray. Divide the dough in half. Working with one portion at a time and leaving the remaining dough chilled, shape portions of the mixture into generous golf ball sized balls with lightly greased hands.
- Place on baking sheet, spacing about 3 1/2" apart. Using your hard, press down the balls until about 1/2" thick.
- Evenly brush the cookies with the egg yolk mixture, try not to drip on the cookie tray, as the egg will burn on the baking sheet. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, in the middle of the over, reversing the sheet from front to back, halfway through baking to ensure even browning.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes -- or until browned on top and just beginning to firm up when tapped in the centers; be careful not to overbake.
- Transfer baking sheet to wire rack and let stand until the cookies firm up slightly -- 3-4 minutes.
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the cookies to wire rack to cool completely -- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze up to one month.