Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Comfort food at it's best: potatoes, Velveeta cheese and bacon! YUM! Definitely not for the calorie counters, this is our "once in a blue moon" splurge! Goes great with ham. I usually use just the bacon and sprinkle the top with sliced green onions, tops and bottoms, just before serving. Originally from a newspaper article showcasing Yukon Gold potatoes, I've substituted russet potatoes at times.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 sweet onion (such as vidalia, Texas 1015, or Maui, finely chopped)
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices bacon (chopped or 1/4 cup pimento green olives, sliced, or both)
- Boil potatoes; when cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 3/8 inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise, mustard, and onion; stir until well combined.
- Add potatoes and cheese and more mayonnaise as needed to coat potatoes completely.
- Season with salt.
- Transfer mixture to an 8x11-inch baking dish; top with bacon pieces and/or sliced olives.
- Bake until hot and bubbling, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm.