Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe is in a small cookbook I bought Years ago while in Amish country. I've made it for years, and my family loves it. Its well worth the time and trouble for those rave reviews you're sure to get! I had to guess at the servings, so don't take it as a true figure.
- 2 cups dried navy beans
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork or 4 slices bacon
- Soak beans over night in cold water.
- Drain,and add 1 1/2 quarts fresh water,and the onion and cook slowly until the skins on the beans burst.
- Drain and save the liquid.
- Mix molasses, sasoning and catsup with 1 cup of the liquid.
- Put half the salt pork or bacon in bottom of bean pot or baking dish.
- Add the beans and top with remainder of pork or bacon.
- Pour molasses mixture over beans, and add more liquid just to cover the beans.
- Bake covered for 5 hours in slow oven(300 degrees). Uncover for the last 30 minutes. Add water if necessary while cooking.