Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Very flavorful, easy to make, hearty soup.
Make and share this Pennsylvania Dutch Ham & Cabbage Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Boil ham shanks for 3 hours in large pot.
- Remove ham shanks and set aside to cool.
- Cut potatoes into quarters, with or without skin, and add to broth.
- Quarter the head of cabbage and wash. Add to pot and bring to boil.
- Clean the cooled ham shanks, removing the meat from the bone and add to the pot.
- Boil another 1/2 hour and let cool for 1/2 hour.
- Serve. Vinegar can be added if preferred. I never add salt because the ham adds enough.