Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a classic crumb cake, or streuselkuchen, with a lot of streusel. Recipe Source: Relish Mag
- cooking spray
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Topping and Cake
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 12 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- To prepare crumb base, stir together flour and salt. Add butter and cut into flour with a pastry blender or two knives until the consistency of medium-fine meal. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon; stir well.
- To prepare topping, transfer 4 cups crumb base to a medium bowl. Add melted butter; stir only until blended. Fluff mixture with fingers to make coarse, buttery crumbs.
- Add ginger, nutmeg, cloves and baking soda to remaining crumb base; stir well. Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla; beat to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until topping is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Dust top of cake with powdered sugar, if using. Serve warm or at room temperature.