Recipe by Bev
This delicious recipe comes from the Bechtel Victorian Mansion Bed & Breakfast Inn, in East Berlin, PA
Top Review by Laudee
OMG, Bev, this is a wonderful crumb cake recipe...It's light as a feather and very, very tasty...An added bonus is that it makes 3-8" cakes, so had one for us, one for the kids, and one for the freezer!! This is one of your recipes that I've had the pleasure of making for our "Bev Cook-a-Thon", and, believe me, it has been my pleasure!! Thank you for posting a true winner...I'll be doing this one often!! Laudee
- 4 cups unsifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, prebeaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend first five ingredients together, and set aside one cup of this mixture as a topping base for use later.
- In separate bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk and baking soda together.
- Then blend the remaining portion of the original crumb mixture, stirring thoroughly.
- There will be some small lumps in the batter.
- Add 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup coconut and 1 teaspoon cinnamon to the cup of original crumb topping mixture, set aside earlier.
- Pour coffee cake batter mixture into 3 greased and floured 8" cake pans.
- Sprinkle topping equally on top of batter in all 3 pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
- Makes 3-8" coffee cakes.