Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 hrs
Cook 24 hrs
I got this recipe from incredibleegg.org and we love it! A different take on the same old, same old, this is a keeper! Pretty and delicious. It's not a "quickie" recipe, but started well in advance, it adds a lot to the meal.
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pickled beets
- 1 3⁄4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons whole allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Drain beets, reserving juice. Set beets aside for another use.
- In medium saucepan, combine reserved beet juice, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Arrange eggs in 1-quart jar or container with tight-fitting lid.
- Pour hot mixture over eggs. Cover tightly. Allow to cool at room temperature.
- Refrigerate to blend flavors, at least 24 hours.
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks and set whites aside.
- In small bowl, mash yolks with fork. Stir in remaining ingredients except egg white halves.
- Refill whites, using 1 heaping tablespoon yolk mixture for each egg half.
- Chill to blend flavors.