Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I have not yet made this recipe, and can't remember where I found it, but wanted to post it before I lose it. I can't wait until the weather cools off so that I can try it. Lots of yummy flavors in this one!
- 2 (11 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- cooked egg noodles
- In 5 qt crockpot, combine soup, potatoes, squash, carrots, corn, celery, dill, salt, and pepper. Top with thighs, bone side up.
- Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.
- Remove thighs to cool. Skim fat from crockpot.
- In small bowl, combine flour and water. Add sour cream. Stir into veggies. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Shred chicken and add to stew. Add peas. Serve on noodles.
I found this recipe in a McCall's magazine at least 20 years ago. Every one in the family loves it, so easy to make in the crockpot on a chilly fall day. I lost it and was in a panic as our cool fall days are starting and I wanted to make it. Did a search and shocked to find it. I don't put in the butternut squash, simply because the first time I made it, I didn't have any and didn't want to run to the store. But we love squash so might try it that way today.
This is very easy to make and tastes fantastic when finished! Definitely a comfort food! My husband usually lets me decide what to cook, yet he continually requests this one. I dont care for the pear onions as much so I dont use a full 1.5 cups. My children are so-so about it, but I have a feeling they'll grow into it :) It's a new staple at our house! Thanks!