****PLEASE USE CHICKEN WITH BONE IN. If you are a corn lover, you will love this. This is my moms recipe for this popular PA dish. Rivels are like tiny little dumplings and add so much goodness to the soup. Prep and cook times are approximate, since she never really had a recipe written out. This tastes even better the next day.
My Private Note
large s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 package chicken breast (or dark meat if you prefer)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (see asterisk below)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For The Rivels
- 1Boil chicken with onion, salt and pepper in 3 quarts of water until tender.
- 2While chicken is boiling, chop eggs so they are ready.
- 3(I boil my eggs the night before).
- 4Remove chicken from bones, shred or cut into pieces.
- 5Add corn to broth and cook to doneness.
- 6Meanwhile make the rivels: Mix one raw egg and 1 cup of flour with fork and use your fingers to make crumbs.
- 7Add this slowly to boiling corn and broth and boil for 15 minutes more.
- 8Add chicken and parsley.
- 9The hard cooked eggs are added now, if desired.
- 10***Ifyou are going to freeze any of the soup, do not add the hard cooked eggs to that portion.
- 11They do not freeze well at all and will ruin the soup.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Corn Soup With Rivels
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.1
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.5 mg
- Sodium 740.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: