Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this from a magazine over twenty years ago. It is a wonderful combination of flavors that make a good almost-meatless entree or a savory side dish for a meat like corned beef.
- 4 slices bacon
- butter or margarine
- 8 cups coarsley shredded cabbage
- 1 cup peeled sliced apple
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups cooked medium egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Saute bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towel. Crumble and set aside.
- Add butter or margarine to skillet if necessary to make 1/4 cup of drippings. Add cabbage, apple, onion, salt, and caraway seeds, 2 Tbl. vinegar, and toss to blend well. Cook 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add noodles, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Stir in remaining vinegar, sprinkle with reserved bacon, and garnish with sour cream.